With the school holidays in full swing, we’re excited to see the Bay back in action welcoming kiwis again.
And although it’s too nippy (for most mere mortals!) to dip your toes in the Mount main beach waters or the glasslike lakes in Rotorua, there is still plenty on offer to keep you occupied. Below are some of our favourites.
- Pack your togs for a dip in the Mount Hot Ocean Water Pools after a walk up or around Mauao. With water temperatures from 32-39 degrees, it’s an all-weather activity.
- The newly established Tauranga Crossing is a sure fire way to kill some time, browse the dozens of shops, catch a movie, wine and dine and you can even grab your groceries on the way out.
- A short drive from Tauranga and you’ll find yourself in Comvita’s virtual beehive where you can learn how Comvita extracts and processes the natural harvest from the hives to create health and well-being products.
- If the weather is great, pack a picnic (or head to the café for hot chocolate) and pop out to McLaren Falls Park. With 190 hectares of park beside Lake McLaren, there are walkways, waterfalls and Marshalls Animal Park – with animals of all shapes and sizes.
- Te Puia has re-opened with access now freely available to their restaurant or purchase a reduced price ticket that will take you into Whakarewarewa Valley to get a closer look at Pōhutu Geyser, visit NZMACI’s schools, the wharenui and the Kiwi Conservation Centre – kids go free!
- Visiting our airport got a whole lot tastier with the opening of Terrace Airside, the sister of the popular Terrace Kitchen located by the Lakefront.
- Skyline is opening their doors every day of the school holidays. Treat the family to a gondola, luging and finish the day off with a scrumptious buffet dinner in the Stratosphere Restaurant.
- Waimangu Thermal Valley have family packages starting from $45. You can discover the beauty of the Waimangu Volcanic Valley and Lake Rotomahana – home of the Pink and White Terraces. Hop aboard the boat cruise and use the augmented reality app to make the Terraces come alive.